That Time of Year... Again

They say that Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, but I beg to differ. I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but spring and summer are pretty awesome. I think that fall is my favorite time of year, though. Pumpkin flavored everything, flannel shirts, boots, Thanksgiving break, colorful leaves, Halloween, not having to shave my legs; oh yes, I love it all! There's just something magical about walking across campus dressed in layers, sipping my Pumpkin Spice Latte, making it a point to step on every crunchy-looking leaf, and letting the cool autumn breeze blow my hair. I truly do love fall.

But I still have at least 4 weeks of summer. A lot of people would be thinking "Yes, a whole month more of summer that I can fill up with trips to the pool, popsicles, and tanning!" That does sound enticing, but once August hits, I'm ready for fall. I think a majority of it has to do with the fact that I go back to school at the end of August and nothing screams "fall" to me more than going back to school.

I absolutely LOVE the few weeks leading up to the beginning of school. I love going shopping for clothes, supplies, a new backpack. I loved going to the school to pick up my schedule and meeting my new teachers. I love walking into class on the first day wearing my favorite outfit that instantly gives me skyrocketing self-confidence. It's like a runner's high or something.

I went back to school today, and I was having mixed feelings about it, actually. I think that most of it stems from the anxiety I had this summer when my transcript from NOVA wasn't correct, and then wasn't filed correctly, and then taking forever to be accepted for the general education waiver at George Mason. I tried getting everything fixed in May, but I kept hitting one speed bump after another. Everything finally did get fixed, though... last week; less than 2 weeks until the start of the semester. But I think I'm also nervous because this is my first semester at GMU. I attended NOVA for 2 years and I was nowhere near this nervous. I think it was the small campus and knowing exactly what to expect that comforted me. But now, I'm on a brand new campus that dwarfs my old one, and I'm getting ready to take classes specific to my major. That's a little terrifying. 

But I'm not letting this anxiety get to me! For the last couple of weeks, I've made lists and plans to prepare me, and I'm going to share some of that advice with you!


Make sure all of your paperwork is in order.
Transferring is a long process. Make sure your final transcript is correct before you send it to your new school, and if it isn't, email/call/see your professor ASAP! The sooner it is brought to someone's attention, the better. If you go along and notice no change, don't be afraid to go to the head of the department. I had to do that, and it was the only way it got done. Make sure that you keep all of the papers given to you during orientation. Put them in a folder and place them in a safe place on your desk or bookshelf. You will, I repeat, you WILL need them later. Make sure all of your credits are correct, esspecially if you are transferring. Keep up with your grades; check Blackboard and email religiously! Don't be afraid to straight up ask your professor what your grade is. Your grade is very, VERY important, and if you think it's wrong, you need to get it sorted out immediately. 


Back-to-school shopping is necessary.
I know that everyone goes into denial when they see the dreaded back-to-school ads on TV starting in early July, and I do too... only a little. I really started loving back-to-school shopping when I switched from a private school to a public school. I didn't have to wear a uniform anymore so I got to wear what I wanted! Granted, I had a hard time assimilating, but after a year or so, it got a little easier. When you go shopping for your clothes, you get to decide how you want to present yourself that year. Do you wanna come across as an indie-hipster who spends way too much time on Tumblr and sipping caramel macchiatos? Or maybe you want to look like you are the stylist for some famous Hollywood actress (Lupita Nyong'o, perhaps?) who is one step ahead of the fashion curb? Or maybe you just want a few more v-neck t-shirts to go with your jeans and Keds. You get to decide, and that's the best part!


Two words: school supplies. 
I don't care if I have 2 or 22 previously used notebooks currently on my bookshelf, nothing will be as satisfying as writing the first word on the first page of a brand new notebook. Nothing. Same goes for pens. And pencils. And erasers! New supplies are refreshing, a chance to start anew! How liberating is that? Just make sure you have a cute and sturdy backpack to keep it all in.


Always have the necessities in your backpack. 
The first week of school is a little strange because, depending on what grade/year you are in school, you may not get a supplies list. I make it a point to always have these things in my backpack at all times:
    • College ruled notebook- even if you use your laptop/iPad/whatever to take notes, always have a notebook with you in case whatever you use dies. You can always re-type everything later, and it will help you remember whatever you learned in class that day. 
    • Pencil bag- keep that puppy fully stocked! Always have extra pens of multiple colors, pencils, erasers, White-Out, Post-Its, highlighters, etc. you never want to come to class one day, find out you're having a pop quiz, and find that you don't have any pencils (trust me, it isn't fun...). I have always been partial to having cute pencil bags. The one I use now was actually sent to me by my best friend, Katherine, from Japan! I have no idea what the writing means, but it's got a cute little chipmunk on the front...
    • Agenda- this is probably the most important thing in my backpack. If I forget it at home, I feel completely lost for the whole day! I have everything color-coordinated by class and it makes my homework much easier.
    • Lunch box- always have food with you, whether it's a full lunch for those long days on campus when you're running low on cash, or a bag of pretzels to hold you over during the 3-hour long classes at 5 o'clock at night, you'll be happy you did...
    • Folder(s)- keeping the handouts from your professor in a notebook is not a good idea. They slide out too easily, get crushed in the bottom of your backpack, or just disappear altogether. I personally love accordion file folders because I can label each class. But I also like the organization and order I get out of a binder with dividers. To each his own. 
    • Calculator- my calculator is the only thing that keeps me alive when I have to take math classes. If I were to ever forget my calculator (knock on wood), I would certainly die. I can't even think about what would happen if I forgot it...
    • Sweater or sweatshirt- classrooms get cold and stay cold. Often times, teachers don't have the ability to control the heat and the AC in their rooms. It's easier to put on more layers than it is to take them off. If you have a locker, keep a jacket in there. If you don't, keep one in your car and take it with you to your classes. 
    • Chargers of any kind and earbuds- this speaks for itself...

RIP Costco backpacks (they're actually fine, I just got bored of them...)
And yes, those are monograms...

The first week is crucial. 
Whether you've been at the same school for years, or you're just starting at a new one, first impressions are very important. Your teachers, classmates, and potential friends take first impressions very seriously. Make sure you're not caught on the first day without a pencil or paper. Actually pay attention to the professor when he or she goes over the syllabus (that piece of paper is your life!). Make it a point to talk to at least one new person in your class. Don't forget to say things like "hello", "good-bye", "thanks", and "see you next class" to your professor; it may just make their day and make you more memorable.


You're appearance really does make a difference.
We already talked about how buying your clothes lets you decide who you want to be this year, but there's more to it than that. A good outfit gives you instant confidence! I may or may not have my entire first week of outfits planned out and sitting on my dresser. I don't want you to spend hours getting ready for an 8am class, but you should make sure that you're hair and teeth are brushed, your face is washed, your clothes aren't stained or wrinkled, and your shoes are comfortable. Now, I know better than anyone that some days, I just want to roll out of bed and go. Well, guess what? You can! In college, wearing yoga pants, a sweatshirt, no makeup, and your hair in a ponytail are NOT the worst things you will do that week. Esspecially during finals week. But you should look like you try to care about how you look every now and then (you don't want your professors to think that you're a slob who won't put effort into your work).


Stay on top of your work.
Yeah, I'll admit, I procrastinate. I think anyone would rather binge watch Gossip Girl on Netflix than do Stat homework, but is that the smartest choice? Probably not. Prioritize your life. What's most important? Probably your homework, your job, and sleep. What comes next? Probably spending time with your friends (they'll understand that you have schoolwork to do). What comes last? Binge watching Gossip Girl. Now, that may sound a little rigid, but part of prioritizing is that once you finish everything at the top of your list, you don't feel nearly as bad when you do something unproductive as you would if you didn't get anything done. Make sure that you don't overdo it on the work, too. I remember studying for my math final during my first year of college. I studied night and day for 2 whole days. I didn't leave my room and cut myself off from all communication from the outside world. I studied so much that my head started to hurt and my hands and feet got cold; I think all of the blood went to my brain. To warm myself up, I went into the kitchen to make some tea. My dad came home as I was brewing it and greeted me by poking me in the side. I usually laugh or poke him back, but this time, I just wrapped myself closer into my sweatshirt. My dad asked me what was wrong and I literally broke into tears. All of the stress was messing with my body and making me sick with worry. He took me to the living room, sat me on the couch, turned on the TV, and told me that I wasn't allowed to move for an hour. After giving myself some space from studying, I immediately felt better. I started thinking clearer, and I decided to take the rest of the night off. You won't succeed if you blow everything off, but you also won't succeed if all you do is study.  



Make the year memorable.
It sounds so cliche, but make this the best year ever! Join clubs, volunteer, get coffee with people in your class, take advantage of your professor's office hours, ask questions, dress up for class, eat breakfast, speak up in class, set goals... You are in charge of your school year. You can make it amazing, or you can make it miserable. The choice is yours.

Have an amazing school year!

Comments