A Planner Without A Plan

I’m almost 23 years old, and I have always had a plan. I knew what I was going to do the next day, the next week, the next month, the next year. I’ve been focused on my career and my future since I was a freshman in high school.

I was going to save some money by living at home and starting with 2 years at a local community college. I was going to keep at least a 3.0 GPA and keep my grades above C-level (pun intended).

After that, I was going to get into George Mason and do a semester at Walt Disney World. Maybe I would even throw in a job or internship in there, somewhere.

I was going to make a bunch of friends and have so much fun.

After 4-5 years, I would graduate and have a job and everything would be perfect.

So here I am, at the end of my really cool internship, waiting for my diploma to arrive in the mail. And I have nothing.

Nada.

Zilch.

Zippo.

Me, all week
I applied and interviewed to become a full-time employee at my internship location, but didn’t get it. Of course, I found out during my last week of the internship. I felt like crying all day at work; my co-workers couldn’t believe that they didn’t give me the position.

I requested 2 weeks between the end of my internship and the (hopeful) beginning of full-time. I planned to use that time to catch up on some sleep, maybe go to the beach or Busch Gardens, read a book or two in my hammock… just take time to rest before being catapulted into the real world. But now that I don’t have anything concrete at the end of those 2 weeks, what am I supposed to do? Enjoy life as a normal 22 year-old who has worked her ass off for 10 years and is in desperate need of a break?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

I have several applications submitted to various jobs, a connection with Disney, plans to go to the beach, and my whole life ahead of me.

Am I anxious about the future? Yes. Am I going to really try to enjoy life and allow myself to have fun? Yes.
It's kind of weird. I mean, I majored in planning, and I don't have a plan. I've never NOT had a plan.

I guess this is what it’s like to not have a plan.



Comments