The Beauty of Beauty

"They know just where I stand. It’s all a part of me, and that’s who I am…” 
-Jessica Andrews, Who I Am

My parents like to joke that it doesn't take much to amuse me. For once, I don’t disagree with them. I’m one of those people who finds humor in anything, whether it’s a joke my brother makes or a cat video. I’m one of those people who finds a reason to dance, whether it’s at a Zumba class or washing the dishes. I’m one of those people who see beauty in anything.

I see beauty in nature because it is proof of God’s touch. I see beauty in the starry sky, in the shapes of the clouds, in the way water droplets rest on a rose, in the light that streams through the leaves.

I see beauty in the women I surround myself with. I see beauty in the determination of my mom, in the calming presence of my favorite red-head, in the fun-sized energy of my future roommate, in the child-like joy of my oldest friend.

I see beauty in the eyes of people when they talk about something they love. I see beauty in the discovery of a new story, in the future they plan, in the triumphs of their day, in the emotions they experience for another.

I see beauty in the most mundane things. I see beauty in the stillness of an auditorium, in the dust that dances in a light, in the raindrops as they splash on the surface of a swimming pool, in the contours of a sculpture.

Some of these things are not visible to the naked eye. I have to look past the basic, sometimes rugged, exterior to see the beauty of the complexity of its core, of its creation.

This is my challenge to you: every day, find one thing, physical or not, look past all precursors you have about it, and try to see its beauty. You will soon discover just how wonderful and beautiful life is.

Comments