Monday Motiation: Flawsome

I love Tyra Banks. She's inspiring, beautiful, and really knows how to coin a word (smize is my favorite).

A few years ago, I was reading an article or interview or something about Tyra where she said something along the lines of this:


The woman's good!

Lately, I've been thinking about this term. In this culture of social media, selfies, likes, filters, and #thinspo #makeupgoals, it's so hard to determine what is real and what isn't. Movies, music videos, TV, and magazines were always seen as the pieces of media that were warping young girl's self-esteem, but now, it's even worse.

People are becoming famous because of Instagram and Snapchat posts. They have perfected the art of  strategic lighting and filters while sitting in uncomfortable ways to show off a seemingly flat belly and Kardashain type but. Now, it's one thing to see people you don't know getting hundreds, even thousands, of likes and followers, but it's worse when you see people you DO know, your friends.

I'll scroll through Instagram for hours and hours wishing that I looked like that friend or took those kinds of pictures or ate that a restaurant with pretty food. In the last year, I've noticed the impact that this "perfection" has had on my friends and I. I didn't like my skin, I didn't like my body, I didn't like my life, I didn't even like how my Instagram profile looked. WHY IS THIS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM?!

Last week, I decided to do a purge. I cleaned out my Facebook friends using one simple rule: if I saw them at the store, would they say hi to me? And if they did, would I even WANT them to? If I answered "no" to any part of that question, I deleted them from my friends list. I went through the accounts I follow on Instagram and unfollowed the people who I became jealous of. Whether I thought they had a perfect body or a "flawless" life, I removed them. I also unfollowed celebrity accounts on Instagram and Snapchat.

I prefer real life to fantasy, flaws and all, because my life is flawsome.


Comments